It's been a long time since I've posted! I'm trying to catch up after several "interruptions" (ALA and a family medical situation) and a huge number of "technical difficulties".
Nevertheless, I will now address Unit 7, Assignment 7 - "Discuss briefly how you went about learning HTML..."
In some ways this was a re-learning exercise. Back in the mists of time, I did learn and use HTML for my work as a librarian here at the University of Arizona. In more recent years we've used web editors such as Contribute and the UA Libraries instituted templates for our subject guides, etc. that have put limits on how "creative" we can get with any web pages that we create. ...So my HTML coding skills are a bit rusty - but as I read through the materials in Unit 7 about HTML, things started to come back or at least sound familiar.
I really liked the self-paced tutorial at http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp It wasn't pretty or "sophisticated" but it was effective. I liked the "Try It Yourself" editor that let you practice and see the results easily and quickly.
I haven't gotten around to viewing the UACBT HTML courses. Also, I've been focused on just getting the basic web page up (trying desperately to catch up to Unit 9 before 7/21 when we start Unit 10!) so I haven't reviewed any of the intermediate or advanced modules on HTML. Sorry! :-}
Speaking of desperately catching up... a brief status report on installation of my demo system: I have a successful test for Apache on my demo system ("It works!") but I seem to still have problems with Webmin. When I ping Webmin on my demo system I just get "request timed out".
I haven't tried pinging Webmin since I removed the Sygate firewall (which solved my problems with WinSCP) so maybe I'll have better luck this next time. I'll go try that now. If it still doesn't work, I guess I'll reinstall (again! for the third time at least) Ubuntu Server on my demo system.
When I finally get the Webmin install to test successfully then maybe I can finish the rest of the Unit 7 assignments (name resolution and wiki post).
I can only hope that Unit 8 will go more smoothly. This may be only a fantasy hope but regardless, I'll keep plugging along.
Pre-installation vm versus manual installs
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment